Utterly Meaningless » Blog Archive » AS IF THERE WERE ANY DOUBT
  • AS IF THERE WERE ANY DOUBT

    Filed at 6:26 pm under by dcobranchi

    Here’s the lede in a Chris Klicka (HSLDA)-authored piece on the nascent homeschooling movement in the Dominican Republic:

    The Dominican Republic is a lush tropical island nation located in the heart of the Caribbean. The country is home to 9.5 million Spanish speaking inhabitants, 95% of whom are not born-again evangelical Christians.

    Because we all know that only evangelical Christians are interested in home education.

    7 Responses to “AS IF THERE WERE ANY DOUBT”


    Comment by
    Andrea
    September 18th, 2006
    at 7:07 pm

    GAH! Stuff like that bugs me. 95% of the population of the Republic are Catholic – but I suppose that doesn’t count (to him) as Christian for some reason???


    Comment by
    Mary
    September 18th, 2006
    at 7:58 pm

    Why does everyone just take HSLDA statistics at face value? How does Klicka KNOW those numbers? Where did they come from? Who asked every person in the Dominican Republic what their religious preference is?

    Every since they paid Brian Ray to go through their applications, picking the ones they liked, then counting the mothers that responded positively to being a fundamentalist Christian and creating the fact that that “96% of homeschoolers are fundamentalist Christian” I don’t buy a single ‘fact’ they create.

    And I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone else does, either.

    Mary


    Comment by
    Daryl Cobranchi
    September 18th, 2006
    at 8:17 pm

    I imagine the source is the CIA World Factbook which lists the population as 95% R.C.


    Comment by
    Andrea
    September 18th, 2006
    at 8:19 pm

    Mary, I’m guessing they looked up demographics for the Dominican (like I did) and because they are listed as Catholic, translated that into “not born-again evangelical Christians”.

    Which is really ignorant and misleading of them.

    (i’m assuming that the religious preferences of that country would be catalogued by their government, like it is here when they do the census.)


    Comment by
    Mary
    September 18th, 2006
    at 9:48 pm

    You tell the truth on census forms? wow. All they get from me is name and address.

    But if HSLDA looked up the fact that 95% are Roman Catholic, that doesn’t mean that the other 5% are born again evangelical Christians – it could mean they are Jewish, or Santaria, or Whatever.

    Mary


    Comment by
    Daryl Cobranchi
    September 18th, 2006
    at 10:17 pm

    Saying that 95% are not evangelical does not necessarily imply that 5% are.


    Comment by
    Andrea
    September 19th, 2006
    at 2:18 pm

    I’ll correct my assumption after thinking about it some more. I’m inclined to believe the 95% Catholic is close enough to accurate (a lot closer than 5% of anything) as the Catholic church keeps pretty accurate records and close tabs on their members. Not because the article says so.

    What I find most disturbing and offensive about the words Klicka chose is it smacks too much of the “let’s save the Godless natives” attitude. It implies they aren’t Christian at all.

    Given this and how much anti-Catholic bias they have, I am flabbergasted that Catholic homeschoolers as a group haven’t risen up against HSLDA.

    And no, I’m not Catholic (was partly raised so though), but I do live in a largely Catholic area, and half the homeschoolers here are Catholic AND HSLDA members.

    I don’t take stock in anything HSLDA has to say.